What does it do?
If any of the following statements describe daily living tasks which you find difficult to do then the Assessment and Enablement Service can really help you.
- Are you struggling to wash and dress?
- Can you prepare a meal and hot drink?
- Do you find it difficult to move around your house or struggle to get upstairs?
- Are you frightened or worried about tripping over, slipping and falling down?
- Do you struggle to turn the cooker, sink or bath taps on and off?
- Are you worried about being on your own in case you get into difficulty?
- Do you find it hard to communicate with people?
- Can you no longer push the vacuum cleaner around or bend over to pick things up?
- Do you struggle to go shopping anymore?
If you have a lower risk to your independence we will be able to provide you with advice and information about other services and organisations that may be able to support and help you.
Adult Social Services Staff will work alongside people to work out how they can best get round areas where they are struggling. We will work with people to help them learn or re-learn skills that they need to live independently. We will also see if technical aids can help people overcome difficulties such as a grab rail for going up the steps to their house as an example. The service will be provided for up to six weeks. The first four weeks of this service will be provided free of charge. An Occupational Therapist, Care Manager, Community Care Worker, Rehabilitation Officer, Domiciliary Services Assessor or a combination of assessors will visit during the six week period. They will work with you to maximise your independence, reduce risk and give you back control.
At the end of your assessment period you may still have needs that require ongoing support. Subject to an assessment of financial circumstances we would usually offer you a Direct Payment for you to purchase the help or support required. You will be offered assistance to manage the Direct Payment. Direct Payments give you control, choice andflexibility. If you did not want a Direct Payment we would work with you to find alternative ways of providing you with the support you require.