Read more at http://www.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/housing/private-housing/homeowners/aids.aspx
What kind of work can I get a grant for?
The council has to award you a grant if the work is essential to enable the person to continue living in the property, and:
- you’re adapting a home for a person who has a disability, and;
- the property is the person’s only or main home, and;
- the property doesn’t have a sink, bath, shower or washbasin without or cold water, a toilet that isn’t shared with any other households, and you want to install one or more of these amenities that will meet the needs of the person, or;
- the home already has the hygiene and wasihng amenities listed above but the person isn’t able to use one or more of them, or;
the work is structural or involves making permanent changes to the house but does not involve:
extending the home to create extra living space, or
- creating accommodation in a separate building (for example, converting a separate garage to a bedroom).
Please note it is up to the council to decide whether or not an adaptation is essential: this is decided as part of the community care assessment process.