What does it do?If you are a homeowner whose home is in need of repair, you may be eligible for financial assistance to help you repair your home.
A range of assistance is available under the Council’s Private Sector Housing Renewal Strategy, which aims to improve housing conditions in the Borough by targeting advice and resources at those in need.
You may be able to apply for assistance under one of the following grants. All grants are subject to a test of the applicant’s financial resources and certain conditions apply. These are described in the Private Sector Housing Renewal Strategy above. Major Works Assistance and Minor Works Assistance are discretionary and are made available subject to the Council having adequate resources.
Major Works Assistance
Major Works Assistance is available to owners whose homes have been built more than 40 years ago and who have owned and occupied the property for at least 3 years prior to making the enquiry.
The property must have serious defects which are considered to be Category 1 or Category 2 hazards, under the Housing Health & Safety Rating System (HHSRS) or which make the home non-decent.
75% of the cost of the works is covered by grant while the remaining 25% will be an interest free loan recovered by the
Council when the property is sold. More information can be found in a leaflet obtainable from our website.
Minor Works Assistance Grants
These grants are given for smaller scale works to deal with defects that constitute an imminent risk to the health or safety of the occupier and are considered to be a Category 1 or Category 2 hazards under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.
The applicant must own and have occupied the property for a period, of not less than one year before the date of application for the grant. The property must be a minimum of ten years old.
Disabled Facilities Grants
These grants are provided for works to adapt the homes of chronically sick or disabled persons to enable them to continue to live independently in their homes. This includes work that improves access to the property, enables the occupier to move freely around their home and improves access to bathing and toilet facilities. To be eligible your application must be supported by an assessment from a specialist such as an Occupational Therapist. More information on Disabled Facilities Grants can be found in a leaflet obtainable on our website.