View all FAQ questions

What is the difference between sheltered housing, warden assisted housing, retirement housing, extra care, close care, very sheltered housing, assisted living, retirement villages and retirement communities?

Retirement housing is often called sheltered housing or warden assisted housing. Extra care housing, very sheltered housing, assisted living are terms used to describe a variety of housing designed with the needs of frailer older people in mind. These schemes have varying levels of care/support on site including a dining room, personal and domestic services and 24 hour support. Close care housing is usually situated in the grounds of or in close proximity to a residential care home