Home Help - A little bit of help at home
This might include:
- Help at home with domestic tasks such as housework, cooking, shopping and gardening
- Elderly care services such as delivery of meals
- Small maintenance jobs and independent living services such as changing light bulbs, replacing a tap washer, doing small repairs, making your home safe and secure, and keeping equipment in working order
- Company and social activities. Choosing the right home help can in itself provide company as well as help at home
- Transport to and from shops, doctor, hospital and so on
- Walking your dog, and keeping it healthy and clean
- Installing security equipment such as an emergency alarm, entry phone or key box
Handypersons services are often run by Home Improvement Agencies.
Age UK's HandyVans deliver a free service in some areas to older people of limited means. They can install security equipment, change locks on doors and windows, and fit smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
Our Home Services Directory
includes a wide range of services that can help older people live well and independently at home. Alternatives are the excellent websites run by some local authorities and the lists of reliable local tradespeople maintained by some Age UKs, Age Concerns and Home Improvement Agencies.
These pages of EAC's Home Services Directory may be of particular interest:
Home Improvement Agencies
The following FirstStop factsheets may also be of interest:
Housing and care options for older people
FirstStop Factsheet 6 : Care and Support at Home
To talk to a FirstStop Advisor about about arranging home help or home care, ring our Advice Line which is open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on 0800 377 7070, (from mobiles/overseas +44 203 519 6002) or request a call back at a time that suits you.