HousingCare.Org logo

Paying for care in a care home

If you have been assessed (needs assessment) as needing care in a care home, the local authority may help you to find a home that can meet your assessed needs but you will usually be expected to find and choose a suitable home yourself (moving into a care home).

Once you have been assessed as needing care, the council will then make a financial assessment (means test) to decide whether you qualify for assistance with your care home fees.

If you need a short period in a care home, either on discharge from hospital before you continue living independently in your own home, or to prevent you having to go into hospital, this will usually be provided free of charge (intermediate care)

Sources of funding for care in a care home:

The local authority (council)

Self Funding

FirstStop Factsheet 1 'Self-Funding Care in a Care Home'